Hometown Paper Profiles Eagle Project

January 29, 2010
Reprinted with permission of the Murray County News.


By: Sheila Crowley
Murray County News Staffwriter
January 27, 2010

Alex Peterson, son of Dave and Ann, Slayton, has earned the highest rank in Boy Scouts, the Eagle Scout.

The Eagle Rank recognizes a Scout’s hard work and dedication to learn skills and provide service.  To earn the Eagle, a Scout must have:
* Been active in their Troop
* Demonstrate Scout Spirit
* Earn at least 21 merit badges
* Served in Troop leadership positions
* Complete an Eagle Scout Leadership Project
* Completed a District Board of Review
All before their 18th birthday.

Alex’s project was intended to control noxious weeds and mitigate the risk of wildfire to the historic park structures.  Minnesota Homeland Security has identified wildfire as a serious hazard in the Lake Shetek area.

The Leadership Project starts with the Scout developing an idea benefiting their community.  The Scout plans the work, secures approvals and funding, and leads the team completing the project. When the project is done, the Scout reports back to the sponsoring organization and their troop.  After completing an Eagle Leadership Project, a Scout will know a bit better what it takes to get things done out in the real world.

He met with End O Line park manager, Gene Short, to discuss the possible project there. Alex visited the site several times to spray noxious weeds and on Saturday, October 24th obtained assistance from fellow scout members, friends and other adult volunteers. They worked throughout the day removing dead debris and prepared the area for a mixture of prairie grasses and wildflowers. The Department of Natural Resources helped fund 75 percent of the grasses and wildflowers while the End O Line park picked up the remaining 25%.

Kids join Scouting for different reasons.  Some want to learn how to camp and hike and get by in the outdoors.  Some want to earn ranks and recognition.  All try to be prepared for anything life throws our way.

The fact that a boy is an Eagle Scout has always carried with it a special significance, not only in Scouting but also as he enters higher education, business or industry, and community service. The award is a performance-based achievement whose standards have been well-maintained over the years. Not every boy who joins a Boy Scout troop earns the Eagle Scout rank; only about 5 percent of all Boy Scouts do so.

Peterson credits the scouting program for helping him appreciate the outdoors and developing his leadership skills along the way through various opportunities in the program.

###

Advertisements

One Response to “Hometown Paper Profiles Eagle Project”


  1. […] easy to keep your word. It takes a big man to get up early to help out your fellow Scouts on a service project, or go out in the cold to compete in the Klondike […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s